Start a new topic
Implemented

Web based control panel

Dear Virto support

I like the setup of virto.  Nice product!!

Only one thing I don't like:  The WPF control panel application

The WPF control panel is compatible for Windows users only.  But it can not be used by Mac users.  Also it needs an installation on clients, which is bad. Modern applications can all run web based.  

My customers (and I think a lot other users) are not fan of WPF.  I really think your product can become big when you migrate the WPF into a web based control panel.  There are nice (bootstrap) frameworks for this.

Note... please do not answers like  :-)  :  "WPF give better UI experience."  Because with HTML5 / JS gives users also a very rich UI experience

So my general question is:   Is there a web version planned of control panel in near future ?

Regards,

Menno

1 person likes this idea

Well, on your phone, do you prefer using website or native app?  you have to agree that WPF functionality is much richer than that of web, so that is the reason a lot of native applications offer much more usability. The MAC disadvantage is real, but at the same time how many people need to access admin app? Typically it is very specialized role in the company.

I agree that html5 does offer a rich UI experience and one example of such experience is azure management portal, some of our clients do create custom (less functionality) admins, so that is an option.

We are considering providing web admin starter in addition to wpf, but no immediate plans just yet.

Hi Sasha,

We are thinking also to create custom (less functionality) admins functionality.  But can we not make it a joined "community" effort of it?   Let the community do this job.   Can you ask your customers if they are open to contribute their admin panel code to community.  So the community can make it bigger?

Would be great if you can initiate this or make some kind of "community" repos available.

Thx!

Menno

Sounds like a great idea to have an admin console be a community effort. We'll work on establishing base framework for creating such console and see if some of the customers are ready to contribute code to this effort.

I agree with Menno, a web based back office solution is imperative to have when you have a WEB-BASED e-commerce package. This allows the store managers to access their BO anywhere, any time, not just on the computer where they have the BO manager installed.

I think it is rather ludicrous to think otherwise and if you think there is no benefit, then you don't understand e-commerce.

We have several clients who did write custom web based admins with a limited functionality such as: simple product and order management. There are also discussions of them making those backends public and available to community.

As for us WPF, it offered much better usability for CSRs and a quick environment to develop features. Also consider this example: you have a warehouse that ships hundreds of orders per day. You'd like to give people running warehouse a software that integrates with your store and shows shipments that need to be send, allows generating pick lists, print them and so on. Would you provide them with a web based tool for that? In our WPF application it is very easy to integrate a custom warehouse management tool using the same UI, same general concepts and make it very easy to use by warehouse workers. You can also do some direct integration with your on-site EPR and other LOB applications which you will not be able to do with web based tool.

I understand that smaller businesses can find WPF application to be too limited, but for medium and large businesses it offers a great deal of value and this is what VC was originally built for.

Web control panel  Has many advantages The only downside is hang the work in the event of problems in connection , So I hope That doesn't will be canceled commerce manager To be relied upon as a program within the company for Management of sales and inventory independent is works offline At the same time can publishing products on the online store  And synchronization of orders in order not to hang work because of the connection

I suggest using of the Kendo UI and Bootstrap in designing Web control panel

demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui

wrapbootstrap.com

for technologies we most likely will be using:

jquery

knockout.js

JsRender

JsViews

with API implemented as a REST API returning JSON to the web frontend.

Since you guys are a Visual Studio shop, I'd suggest using MVC4 with WebAPI to write your REST svc then AngularJS + Pure for your front-end.

We are using MVC Web PI and will investigate AngularJS, seems very promising.

I just noticed the planned feature.  This is great community support

Thx guys!  

@Sasha:  AngularJS or EmberJS are both very nice powerfull frameworks for building this HTML5 website.   

Can you please try to set it up, that we can easily inject custom functions / buttons in the admin site. I need to build some custom order handling, Would be nice if I can integrate some order management functions in this new HTML admin interface 

Please be aware about knockout, it doesn’t provide much functionality other than two ways DOM binding. It lacks of so many features that are needed in nowadays web application development, just to name a few, routing, data driver, component(composed views), etc. 

Therefor personal prefer EmberJS.  As for why I like Emberjs more than Angularjs despite angular in a way is easy to learn while emberjs has a steep learning curve is that, Emberjs favors convention over configuration, meaning that if you follow and be familiar with its convention, you can write much less code that other frameworks, when you begin writing your first Emberjs app it’s slow at first, but once you get a hang of it once you familiar with its convention, the later development is much efficient.

And because the embers is so focused on convention, and people working with it tend to follow it which makes the whole codebase more consistent in case in future there are more developers working on it, while for Angular there is no 1 single true best practice, different project different developer can have their own code structure, setup, convention, it would be more confusing most of the time.

Anyway...  I am happy you guys picked up this feature !!

@menno We are still in early prototype and planning phase. For now we focused on creating a specification document describing the approach and also doing few prototypes to make sure ideas work. We'll start publishing them in github for everyone to see and give us feedback.

I'll checkout EmberJS, haven't looked at it yet. So far AngularJS seems to be a winner and we still picking a CSS framework. Looked at pure and bootstrap, both have advantages, but picking CSS framework is less critical than picking JS. So thanks for all the information and it definitely helps us narrow things down and discover new ideas.

Update: we are actively developing first version of web based admin. We are starting with a catalog module. The technologies used are: angularjs, custom css, web api. We'll be created a portal framework that allows extending/adding new modules as plugins. The first public demo should be out within a month.

any update on the status on the web based admin.

It is currently in development. We now expect some early prototype in september.

Login or Signup to post a comment