Start a new topic
Answered

Properties for the same type of product in different stores

I have a question about properties.

I am currently building a test store to see how Virto Commerce works using the version 1.7 of the SDK.

I have two main brands of widgets that I sell, brand A and brand B.

I have created a store for each. Called A and B. The products sold in both stores are the same. I'll call them Widgets. When I set up a store A I create a property set called 'A property set'. When I came to create store B, I thought I would be able to re-use the properties created in Store A. I was wrong. I have to enter them all again.

My point is:

a) Why are properties not shared between different stores;

b) How does the product comparison work if all of the properties for the same kind of product in different stores are different?

Best Answer

You can change property set for a category or product at any time. Switching property set won't delete any values already entered.

Here is simple explanation of merchandising concepts:

Master Catalog - used to store properties and products

Virtual Catalog - used to organize products and categories and products can't be created in there, you use linked categories to relate categories from master catalog to virtual catalogs

Catalogs can also be assigned to stores.

Here is also illustration on how catalogs work: http://virtocommerce.com/Cms_Data/Sites/VirtoCommerceNew/Themes/images/business-features/1.png

Please let me know if you have more questions and we can optionally schedule a demo to explain concepts more if you need to.

Is there some way I can export the properties from a catalog and import them into a different one?

you should be able to share properties between your products if they are created in the same catalog, you can then define two different virtual catalogs if you want products to be available only in particular store

if you do it this way, the comparison will work correctly as well, and it is based on property names

currently, we do not have way to export properties, but that is the functionality we aware is missing and we will try including it in our next sprint schedule

Would I be right in thinking that, once you've set which property set to use for a category, you can't change it?

Answer

You can change property set for a category or product at any time. Switching property set won't delete any values already entered.

Here is simple explanation of merchandising concepts:

Master Catalog - used to store properties and products

Virtual Catalog - used to organize products and categories and products can't be created in there, you use linked categories to relate categories from master catalog to virtual catalogs

Catalogs can also be assigned to stores.

Here is also illustration on how catalogs work: http://virtocommerce.com/Cms_Data/Sites/VirtoCommerceNew/Themes/images/business-features/1.png

Please let me know if you have more questions and we can optionally schedule a demo to explain concepts more if you need to.

Login or Signup to post a comment