Start a new topic
Answered

Admin Presentation Localization

Hello,

are there any plans to make the WPF Application localizable?

As far as I can see it isn´t implemented.

Kind regards

Carlo

Best Answer

Carlo, thank you for the sample. Our localization data is dynamic as it's stored in the database. And we provide a (WPF) user interface for this data managing. You can change the general "Artikelbezeichnung" to the industry specific item name there.

We consider that different industry products shouldn't be sold on the same store. And different stores are stored in separate database instances. Having such configuration you can have as much localized stores as you want.

Have a nice day

1 person has this question

Hello Carlo,

Yes, Commerce Manager will be localizable in the nearest future. It is planned to be implemented in few upcoming sprints.

Kind regards

Very good starting point: http://wpflocalizeextension.codeplex.com/

I used it to localize my WPF/Silverlight Client. I decided to get the native language from constants instead of direct database access. The constant content is a guid string which is decorated with an attribute that holds the default description and some other information. If the language gets changed, it will fetch the translation for the guid from database. That´s it.

Regards 

Carlo

I'm implementing localization in this project. Carlo, thanks for sharing your ideas. 

We're using the same approach for FrontEnd store app (web) and Commerce Manager (WPF). It's implemented in VirtoCommerce.Client.Globalization.

I'm using a custom MarkupExtension for WPF. It's similar to the one that you mentioned.

I've also adopted an addin tool for automatic strings extraction and XAML processing from http://wpflocalizeaddin.codeplex.com/ . There are still some minor issues left, but my expectations are very high and it should localize all the XAMLs instead of me.

That sounds good, especially the part "instead of me" ;-)

Regarding to the localization itself, it would be very nice if it is possible to do several localization for ex. de-DE for different industry or sector. Maybe in the future it will be possible to localize a store?

That's an interesting idea about "localization per industry". We don't have this feature in our plans yet. Can you write a sample use case of such approach? If I get your idea, most of the texts would remain as in original translation, only a subset would be over-translated specifically.

I'm not sure what you mean by "localize a store". Our store (web application) has localization present (we have translations to several languages including German).

Kind regards

Sample use case Travel-Industry and Finance-Services.

Travel-Industry, de-DE "Item Name" equals "Katalogbezeichnung"

Finance-System, de-DE "Item Name" equals "Produktbezeichnung"

Other or Default, de-DE "Item Name" equals "Artikelbezeichnung"

And even in the Healthcare-Industry they have different translations/descriptions for the same thing in the same language.

"Localize a store" is what you wrote "most of the texts would remain as in original translation, only a subset would be over-translated specifically"

Have a nice weekend ...

Answer

Carlo, thank you for the sample. Our localization data is dynamic as it's stored in the database. And we provide a (WPF) user interface for this data managing. You can change the general "Artikelbezeichnung" to the industry specific item name there.

We consider that different industry products shouldn't be sold on the same store. And different stores are stored in separate database instances. Having such configuration you can have as much localized stores as you want.

Have a nice day

Login or Signup to post a comment