Start a new topic
Answered

question on best practices

I'm starting to look for a commerce site and was very excited to find Virto.  Thank you!

General question,  I'd like to change some colors of the basic site.  

Is the process to use Configuration tool from the SDK to generate the project and modify the project views??  Or do I download the raw source and run the powershell scripts for installation referenced in some of the documentation?  

How would version upgrades work with either method?  I'm really excited for the upcoming ebay/amazon stuff.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Either way is appropriate. If you just want to change simple things in frontend then SDK would be easiest/preferred way to accomplish this.

The upgrades would work in similar way for both approaches. You can either create a fork in github of the whole project and then simply merge new changes when they appear, or you can add the source code of the frontend to you source control (lets say TFS) and create a branch of it where you will modify the code. Once you want to update, you download the new source code to you TFS and then use merge to update your branch (changed code).

Hope this helps.

Answer

Either way is appropriate. If you just want to change simple things in frontend then SDK would be easiest/preferred way to accomplish this.

The upgrades would work in similar way for both approaches. You can either create a fork in github of the whole project and then simply merge new changes when they appear, or you can add the source code of the frontend to you source control (lets say TFS) and create a branch of it where you will modify the code. Once you want to update, you download the new source code to you TFS and then use merge to update your branch (changed code).

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much.

Is there any different/special instructions for  getting it setup from a fork vs, downloading the zip?

I followed the instructions from the link below, and the http://localhost:9200 shows the json, but only the admin page comes up, but I cannot login with the click once tool and the store site cant find a store even though I ran the setup-database powershell scriptl and there are records in the database.

http://docs.virtocommerce.com/display/vc1devguide/Source+code+getting+started

Thanks!!!

Instructions should be the same, what do you get when you try browsing the frontend site?

Login or Signup to post a comment