Start a new topic
Answered

Installation issues when using source code package

The solution doesn't build as-is. I had to manually add some references. But now I'm stuck with MVC.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer

It is actually quite easy to get Elastic Search running. You can either start it by running:

Tools\ElasticSearch\bin\elasticsearch.bat or by installing it using SDK installer so it runs as a windows service.

If you want to use Lucene, then open: src\Presentation\FrontEnd\StoreWebApp\App_Data\Virto\Configuration\connectionStrings.local.config and change SearchConnectionString to this:

<add name="SearchConnectionString" connectionString="server=~/app_data/virto/search;scope=default;provider=lucene" />

And make sure to give account running website read/write access to the app_data/virto/search folder as that is where indexes will be created.

All right, I've been able to build it by downloading again, unblocking the zip and doing new extract, clean then build.

Then I followed the instructions here

http://docs.virtocommerce.com/display/vc1devguide/Source+code+getting+started

I did modify the setup_database.ps1 to use .\sqlexpress as my SQL instance and it installed DB fine.

I then skipped the Elastic Search steps (are they required?) and proceed with IIS.

However, the site does not run - it is stuck at "Loading...". I also tried to run it via IIS Express and it did not load either.

Another update - I found I had to modify the connection string inside App_Data/configuration folder (you might want to point that out in the Getting Started tutorial) and assign the correct SQL Server/IIS login (DefaultAppPool) the required schema permissions (I assigned public and dbowner for now but you might want to elaborate what level is required).

Now it seems the site starts but cannot contact the Elastic search instance:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9200

Should the site run without Elastic search being set up or is there a setting where we can disable the search? Because I really don't need search functionality at this point yet.

Search is required to run the frontend as it is used for many features like browsing catalog and displaying dynamic content areas. You can however switch to using lucene instead of elastic search if you like.

I really really don't like to spin up another server on a different port and would like to avoid it, what would it take to switch to Lucene and does that also require running search server?

If it's not possible then I guess it's fine too..

Answer

It is actually quite easy to get Elastic Search running. You can either start it by running:

Tools\ElasticSearch\bin\elasticsearch.bat or by installing it using SDK installer so it runs as a windows service.

If you want to use Lucene, then open: src\Presentation\FrontEnd\StoreWebApp\App_Data\Virto\Configuration\connectionStrings.local.config and change SearchConnectionString to this:

<add name="SearchConnectionString" connectionString="server=~/app_data/virto/search;scope=default;provider=lucene" />

And make sure to give account running website read/write access to the app_data/virto/search folder as that is where indexes will be created.

Thanks, that did it. Glad I could set it up without ES.

Is this the .NET version of Lucene or something else?

Oh, I see, it is Lucene.NET, it's included as Nuget package, latest version, nice!

Login or Signup to post a comment